[ltp] SATA Disks on PATA bridge?

Andreas Klöckner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:17:52 -0500

--nextPart1746287.4O611ux7fZ

Hi there,

My R52 came with a rather slow 4200rpm PATA hard drive that I would like to=
=20
upgrade. The system has an Intel SATA controller.=20

Can I stick a SATA drive in there? Or is the thing limited to operating PAT=
A=20
drives through this quirky SATA-to-PATA bridge thing that I've read about o=
n=20
ThinkWiki? I'd rather avoid the trouble of buying the wrong drive, so what'=
s=20
the safe choice? One of the "approved" PATA drives? Or rather a SATA one?

My system is an R52 of July 2005, model number 1860-5EG. The HD connector i=
n=20
the machine looks like there is supposed to be a second line of pins where=
=20
the SATA connectors could go--this looks a bit too thin for the "knobs" on=
=20
the SATA interface visible in this [1] picture, however.

I'd be grateful for any info.

Thanks!
=2DAndreas

[1] http://tinyurl.com/owtr9