[ltp] DVD is loud after ACPI sleep

Pasi Oja-Nisula linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Jul 2006 12:58:07 +0300

Hi,

A while ago Ben Pearre asked about silent mode of Thinkpad
dvd drives. Now it seems that I have the exact same problem.
My T22 has also a dvd drive that becomes too loud after ACPI
sleep. After reboot the drive is quiet.

I'm running Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.15.6. The drive is
HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-S250, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive.

The recommended "eject -x" and "hdparm -E" commands don't
seem to help at all. I have tried different values and hdparm
event tells me "setting cdrom speed to 6 (or whatever value)",
but then when starting dvd player the drive then accelerates
maddly again.

I'm wondering what this silent mode actually is and if there is
some kind of utility to put the drive in that mode.

Pasi