[ltp] X60s: Reinstalling on a 100 GB

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:08:08 -0400

** Reply to message from Atul Chitnis <mail@atulchitnis.net> on Mon, 10 Jul 2006 23:46:07 +0530 (IST)

Hi Atul,

This is a partial solution.. I just changed to a 100G HD in my T42.  I'm running SuSE 10.1.

To copy the partition, I used "partimage" from the Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD.  It got
all the files.  I chose it over dd since I feared the latter might be too low-level to allow for
the changed geometry of the new drive.  (That could be just due to my ignorance, but I read
a comment somewhere about dd not handling differing disk geometries.)  I've used
partimage many times, writing to a USB drive, with complete success.  One nice feature is that it
is flexible in its behavior when restoring the MBR.

I can mount the restored partition and fiddle with the files and do comparisons with the
old disk,  As far as I can see, everything is intact.  However, I was unable to get
GRUB's chainloader to find the bootloader in the restored partition.    My guess is that it's going
to take a one-line change in some configuration file to get everything to boot.  I would start with
the entries of boot.ini on the restore partition, but I'm no expert.

In my case I was able to get the set of system restore disks under warranty from IBM, so I took the
easy way out.

Good luck,

Don A

--