[ltp] HDAPS firmware for Hitachi 5K100 drive? (was: Re: New HDD: hdaps support?)

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:44:37 -0400

Whoopie wrote:

> Instructions how to do it are here:
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=20858

Okay, I read that and a few other threads and I gather that you need to match
up your current FW revision with a file from either the disk images linked to
there or the Lenovo/IBM hard disk firmware ISO. The retail FW has an "O" in
the revision string and in the IBM OEM firmware that changes to an "I". My
disk has "MBZOA60A" as the firmware rev. string, and looking at a few other
threads on thinkpads.com it looks like IBM and/or Lenovo have never released
an OEM compliment to this firmware. Does that mean I'm SOL or am I not
understanding something? This hard drive model number and firmware revision
business is frying my brain (they don't seem to make logical sense--just
meaningless strings). Not to mention there's the parallel issue of the T43
SATA bridge, which it's not always clear which issue forum posters are
talking about (one of the many reasons I hate web forums).

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/ | GPG: 0xAD9AE76A
"Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither." -- B. Franklin