[ltp] High-res timers, tickless/dyntick and dynamic available as a patch against 2.6.17

Daniel Skorka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:23:13 +0200

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 05:37:27AM +0200, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> Why it can be interesting on thinkpads:
> - suppress useless timer interups, thus reducing the load on the
> processor and saving power
> - might solve the "high pitch noise" problem described here:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises

I am running 2.6.17.4 patched with hrt-dyntick5. The noise is indeed
mostly gone - a blessing from the gods. It is now only heard when I use
my USB mouse or the touchpad (not the trackpoint). However, the CPU
still seems to spend most of its time in state C2. Also, I have noticed
a small bug during system boot: When init is going through the scripts,
processing will halt 3 or 4 times and only continue once I hit a key
(i.e. trigger an interrupt).
Not tested: Any other USB devices, WLAN

regards,
Daniel