[ltp] R52 - Xorg/DRI/GLX - 18586MM

Onno Benschop linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:45:05 +1000

Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> i use here sid, and there is no need to use the backported DRI.. a curr=
ent
> kernel is needed, and make sure the DRI modules are built as modules.
>
> Maybe in the Xorg log /var/log/X... is something helpful.
>  =20
Well, as I said I'm running 2.6.11, not the latest kernel, but I'm=20
reluctant to change with all the fun I had making my pretend SATA drive=20
work, or should that be pretend PATA drive, who knows? I also recall=20
having lots of fun making other stuff work like wireless and sleep, so=20
not that keen to change unless someone here has and "it just worked" :-)
stable
I did do a modprobe i915, but that made no difference. It loaded the=20
module that came with the DRI-snapshot stuff, but didn't seem to make=20
any impact anywhere.

The logs don't seem to show anything that is any form of error.

I've now tried about seven or so different forms of xorg.conf with no=20
actual progress.

My experience tells me that if there is no answer in google, then I'm=20
likely looking for the wrong problem, indicating that perhaps there is=20
something else that I'm missing.

What are the pre-requisites for making Xorg work, and then, what do I=20
need for DRI/GLX, and finally, what do I need to be able to expand my=20
desktop onto the external VGA connector.

Some other things that make me wonder are that the Fn-F5 key, supposedly =

to turn blue-tooth off - not actually on-board, never generates an=20
event, so I cannot actually see it in ACPI. I never did get hibernate to =

work, and my hard drive seems slower than I would have expected.

So perhaps, what I'm calling a working machine is in fact just limping=20
along, despite my best efforts :-)

Has anyone here actually got Debian running on an R52 - 18586MM, that is =

a 1024 x 768, 1Gb RAM, Pentium M, 1.7Ghz, 60Gb HDD? Can I perhaps=20
compare some stats and see what gives?

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

--=20
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27=C2=B052'34" - E151=C2=B015'43" (Millmerran,=
 QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony Central, =
Dalcon
ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   onno@itmaze.=
com.au