[ltp] Unable to run xterm after resume, but aterm, rxvt, gnome-terminal, konsole all work fine

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:53:13 -0400

I prefer xterm in my Sawfish sessions, because its bound to keystrokes
to launch various types (local, remote, small, black, white, whatever).
I also like the ability to use the ctrl and alt modifiers with left,
right and middle-click to pop up the context menus for xterm's
preferences (changing font sizes, reversing the terminal colors and so
on).

Why doesn't it work after I resume? It gets to read /tmp/.ICE-unix/12345
(random socket here), but then gets stuck on the last read() call.
strace shows it just hanging there, waiting for something that never
comes back. The only solution is to reboot.

If I log out of X, restart gdm, my entire X session locks up
immediately, before the initial login dialog is displayed.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using Ubuntu Dapper with current
updates + the fglrx driver (getting me ~2,000fps now) on a Thinkpad
T42p. Everything works, until I come back from a suspend event, then it
all topples down.

Thanks.

--
David A. Desrosiers