[ltp] Re: Stress testing for undervolting

TNKS linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:08:06 -0500

Thanks for all the tips.

Laurent Gilson wrote:

> If you want to find out quickly if you have reached the "safe" side:
> - plug/unplug AC and batt at random
> - run hdparm random-seek tests on HD and DVD (with pauses)
> - and use the Wifi to transfer large amount of data (also with pauses)
>
> The goal is to cause turbulence in the voltage. Quickly going from minimal
> to maximal load and back is more likely to trigger an error then waiting
> for 24 hours...

I think I can figure out to do the first and third of your suggestions, but
I'm not exactly versed in all of hdparm's options, and even after reading
the manpage, I'm not sure what switches you have in mind for a random-seek
test.  And also, would I be inject the pauses myself, or does hdparm
support this?  I just wasn't sure after reading the manpage.

> Also test changing from/to the frequency you are about to adjust.

That's a great idea too.

> I have tested 2 hours in total. And added 1 voltage step afterwards. After
> 4 months: No hiccups.

Was this 2 hours of straight mprime, or mprime augmented with your more
fanciful ideas above?

Thanks,
Sukant