[ltp] 80°C in a T41p?

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:56:55 +0200

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> since my machine came back from repair, it seems to become strangely
> hot. At first I thought that a BIOS upgrade might have sacrified cooling
> in favor of noise, but that much? I regulary get more than 80°C,
> sometimes even 90°C when compiling my kernel etc.

Under normal work my machine stays at around 39 degrees (although I
undervolt it a bit). And then, I told the frequency demon to switch down
to 600 MHz if the temperature is above 55 degrees.

I would suspect that the repair people did not put enough thermal paste
between processor and cooling engine. Or they just used the old stuff...

Hope this helps
Ulrich