[ltp] 80°C in a T41p?

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:33:10 +0200

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> It does a bit, although I can't really afford to send it _in_ again
> right now (and in a short time I'll be in Ghana, where I don't want to
> send it in either)
>
> Would you mind disabling the frequency control and check if you fan
> keeps your CPU at full load below 70°C?

Well, when I initially got the machine I saw the temperature a couple of
times at above 80 degrees when compiling the linux kernel, so I do not
need to test that again :)

What you could test is setting the cpu frequency to 600MHz (or the
smallest possible value) and see what different load levels do to the
cpu temperature.

Nevertheless, a possible quick fix could be to get some thermal paste
and apply that yourself. However I only mention it as a possiblity, not
as a recommendation, for guarantee reasons etc. If you chose to do it, I
won't take any responsibility...
Or at least call the repair guys and ask what they did :)

Regards,
Ulrich