[ltp] Re: [ltp] 80°C in a T41p?

Bobby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:13:30 +0800

On Jul 17, 2006, at 1:10 AM, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 16.07.2006, 18:56 +0200 schrieb U Kuehn:
>> Joachim Breitner wrote:
>>> since my machine came back from repair, it seems to become strangely
>>> hot. At first I thought that a BIOS upgrade might have sacrified
>>> cooling
>>> in favor of noise, but that much? I regulary get more than 80°C,
>>> sometimes even 90°C when compiling my kernel etc.
>>>
>> Under normal work my machine stays at around 39 degrees (although I
>> undervolt it a bit). And then, I told the frequency demon to
>> switch down
>> to 600 MHz if the temperature is above 55 degrees.
>>
>> I would suspect that the repair people did not put enough thermal
>> paste
>> between processor and cooling engine. Or they just used the old
>> stuff...
>>
>> Hope this helps
>
> It does a bit, although I can't really afford to send it _in_ again
> right now (and in a short time I'll be in Ghana, where I don't want to
> send it in either)
>
> Would you mind disabling the frequency control and check if you fan
> keeps your CPU at full load below 70°C?
>
> Thanks,
> Joachim

Had the same problem before, and it's not a thermal paste problem
because I tried to change it : same result : my computer shutdown
when reached 93° (rip a movie or this kind of job) : perhaps it's
because a new bios, the only way I found for resolve this problem is
to undervolting the cpu (kernel patch). And now never go over 65/70°
under heavy charge.