[ltp] Boot screen is small on T23

Dale Amon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 01:55:28 +0100

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 03:15:20PM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Dale Amon wrote:
> >I am booting a T23 from grub and only get a small
> >screen in the center for boot and vt's. I got X to work
> >full screen with no problem.
> >
> >Is there a grub hack to fix this?
> >
>=20
>=20
> I think you want to enable "Screen expansion" in the BIOS.
>=20
> If you have, say a 1024x768 LCD, but the actual signal is only for=20
> 640x480 (the default, iirc, for the BIOS and VTs), then the
> screen can either display 640x480 in the middle (with a black border),=20
> or it can expand it to the full size (but it will be a bit blurry.)
>=20
> Alternatively, you want something like "vga=3D791" in your kernel=20
> parameters.  (see kernel-parameters in /usr/src/linux for details)

I was delayed in getting to try some of the ideas out
and I eventually used the combination of setting HV in the
BIOS and adding vga=3D6 to my grub boot line. This gets me
full screen, however as soon as debian runs console-tools during
boot the video mode reverts to the original font size. At
least it is full screen in the vt's though.

I looked at the console-tools config docs and decided
the documentation was such that the learning curve
was too steep for too little value as there is no
real cookbook entries to do the simple things and
quite a lot seems to depend on having deep knowledge
of several applications and standards.

However, my vt is now at least as good as it was on the=20
t22, so I can live with that.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

--=20
             Artemis Systems Development
   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--