[ltp] Disabling moving/tapping touchpad but leave scrolling?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:30:38 -0400

> What you want to do is use udev to write a separate rule for the
> TPoint and TPad. Then, set up 2 different mice in xorg.conf (instead
> of /dev/input/mice). Then, configure as you wish. Eg you can map the
> button 1,2,3 presses to some non-existent buttons.
Could you be a bit more specific about "write a separate rule"? Which
configuration file I should change?  Do I need to restart computer after
the change or I can just restart some service?

Sorry that I'm not understanding here. Importantly, even if touchpad are
configured separately, I want *touchpad* to not tapping/moving mouse but
only scrolling. Any idea how to configure touchpad device that way?

Also I tought I've already have two different devices. I have two
section named "InputeDevice":

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
#	Option          "EmulateWheel"          "true"
#	Option          "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
#	Option		"XAxisMapping"		"6 7"
#	Option 		"EmulateWheelTimeout" 	"200"

EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver          "synaptics"
	Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
	Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
	Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
	Option		"SHMConfig"		"on"
#        Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
EndSection

What exact does ZAxisMapping do?

> For scrolling, are you aware of EmulateWheel?  xorg.conf:
>
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "EmulateWheel" "on"          #Button 2 => emulated scroll wheel.
> Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
> Option "EmulateWheelTimeout" "200"
> Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"         #EmulatedWheel vertical/horizontal
> pointer motion causes fake button 4,5 or 6,7 presses.
> Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
Yes I did try that. However one of the most important hardware feature
of thinkpad for me is the presence of the third/middle mouse button,
which I use to paste the unix way. I also use it to middle click a link
to open in a new tab. I'm very addicted to this so it's hard for me to
change and use the scroll wheel while holding down middle button.

Thanks anyway.
Jiang