[ltp] Best distribution for an A30P = ?

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:42:52 -0400

Richard Neill wrote:

> SOTL wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I know that asking which is the best distribution is an easy way to
>> start a flame war but that is exactly what I need to know.
>>
>> I need to know which of the following three Linux distributions for
>> an IBM A30P Thinkpad.
>> SuSE 10.1
>> Fedora Core 5
>> Mandriva  2006
>> I have exactly no interest in any other distribution, especially
>> Debian, haven tried most on my desk top and failing to find anything
>> that out weighs the disadvantage of their not being one of the
>> excepted standards in the engineering and scientific technical world.
>> To emphasize Ubuto is a great distribution but for serious technical
>> types either Scientific Linux or Biological Linus would be a much
>> more desirable choice. Since I do not travel in either of those
>> circles Fedora or SuSE for me is a better choice depending on which I
>> can make work on the laptop easiest. If neither one of these is
>> doable then how difficult is it to install Mandriva 2006. If one can
>> not install any one of these three easily then I will stick with my
>> current distribution of Mandrake 10.1 which is now 3 years old.
>

> All 3 are easy to install. You missed one out of the list: Mandriva
> 2007 alpha. 2006 is near end of life, whereas 2007 will be released in
> about 2 months. 2 advantages of it:
>
> 1)If you have any issues with the distro, you can file a bug report,
> and have a decent chance of a fix.
>
> 2)You can upgrade seamlessly with
>    urpmi.update -a; urpmi --auto-select
>
> One thing you may also consider: Fedora principally uses GNOME,
> whereas you are most likely a KDE user.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Thanks

Being out of pocket for the last 3 months I was unaware of Mandriva 2007.

Having fought the Linux installation wars for a number of years I have
discovered that I simply have no desire to repeat the experience so I
will simply wait unless of course some one else has a simple method of
installing either Fedora or SuSE.

Thanks Again for the info.

SOTL