[ltp] Disabling moving/tapping touchpad but leave scrolling?

Michael Olbrich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:43:50 +0000

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:40:13AM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Jiang Qian wrote:
> >>What you want to do is use udev to write a separate rule for the=20
> >>TPoint and TPad. Then, set up 2 different mice in xorg.conf (instead=20
> >>of /dev/input/mice). Then, configure as you wish. Eg you can map the=20
> >>button 1,2,3 presses to some non-existent buttons.
> >
> >Could you be a bit more specific about "write a separate rule"? Which=20
> >configuration file I should change?  Do I need to restart computer after=
=20
> >the change or I can just restart some service?
>=20
> http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Usually udev creates the device files correctly.

>=20
> /dev/input/mice is a hybrid of both.  That won't help you!
>=20
> You want
>   device 1 =3D  /dev/input/mouseX
>   device 2 =3D /dev/input/mouseY    (or maybe eventY)
>=20
> where X,Y depend on the order of module loading at bootup, or use a udev=
=20
> rule for the symlinks.

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

helps too to find the right devices.

> >What exact does ZAxisMapping do?
>=20
> I'm not actually quite sure...

man 4x mouse

Also have a look at "man synaptics" (at least in debian) or any README
files that come with the xorg synaptics driver. If you set "LeftEdge"
and "RightEdge" both to "0" you should be able to use the whole touchpad
as scrollbar.

michael

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO--