[ltp] A21P CPU Soft Error Fixed - But How?? (A Bit OT)

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:52:43 -0400

** Reply to message from ted frater <ted.frater@virgin.net> on Sat, 22 Jul 2006 05:00:33 +0100

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your note.  But the computer failed when booting
Knoppix 5.x from CD or DVD, too.  In that case it wasn't reading
anything off the HD except, perhaps, the MBR.  How would that
cause a CPU soft error?

What is a CPU soft error?

TIA

Don A

> Donald B. Altman wrote:
<SNIP>

>  I run an A21P every day, its one of the most reliable thinkpads made.
>  your problem is MS  software related. Dump MS unless you have to use it
> for something.
> Try another hard drive in it. With a fresh installation of which ever
> distro you want.
>  Mine came with 98 on it
> I use a Lilo boot manager  and have slackware 10 0n it.as well.
>  Both work  perfectly .
> I use 98 to run 16 bit programmes just to experiment.
>  for example Netscape 3 on adsl
> youve never seen anything so fast!!.
>  Fastest browser in this setup.

<SNIP>