[ltp] Re: T42P Xorg 7.0 and fglrx 8.26.18-1 -> unstable and no 3D

Marc MERLIN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:45:28 -0400

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 11:52:59PM -0400, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I got the ATI installer, generated debian/unstable packages, tweaked my
> xorg.conf, and in theory I should have DRI working, but
> 1) I don't
> 2) the driver sucks, if I go to text mode and come back, the windows are
>    half displayed. If I suspend and resume, same problem

Ok, problem #2 was apparently because I had this in my config file:
Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "on"

> I did remove radeonfb, and the problems are still there, I even get:
> gandalf:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
> direct rendering: No
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Grumble, this took way too long to research but I found the problem:
gandalf:~$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fglrxinfo
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 8.26.18 fglrx (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to find driver: fglrx_dri.so

ln -s /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib/modules fixed it.

I also notified:
- glxinfo people to output the useful debug info by default
- the ati folks to do the same in fglrxinfo
- Aric Cyr <Aric.Cyr@gmail.com> who seems to maintain the debian
  fglrx-driver driver

Hopefully this won't happen to too many other people in the future

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/