[ltp] Suse 10.1 & an IBM Thinkpad A30P

Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:39:01 +0100

SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> A month or so back I purchased SuSE 10.1 to install on my Thinkpad.
> I had been informed in one of my bug reports on OpenSuSE 10.1 that the win software modem was only available in the commercial since the software for the modem is not open source.
> I then attempted to install SuSE10.1 which came up running but refused modem operations. DSL and wireless both of which the computer has were not checked. Due to personal time considerations the issue was shelved.
>
> A few weeks ago I made a post concerning concerning the issue of modem failure.

Didn't you get my reply about the martian driver?

> This leads me to three question.
> How does one varify that a commercial DVD and/or CD set is not corrupt?

1)To verify your downloaded file:

  md5sum CD_1.iso
and compare with the published md5sums

2)To verify the CD which you have burned, do:

md5sum /dev/cdrom

OR:

mount DOWNLOAD.iso -r -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/tmp"
mount /mnt/cdrom
diff -r /mtn/cdrom /mnt/tmp"
umount /mnt/tmp\n"

OR:

Burn with k3b, which will verify it for you.

> Has there been some change in commercial produced DVDs and CD that prevent some machines from loading them correctly?

No. However, it may be related to the disc which you have used, or
perhaps the burner. Try burning at 1x speed.

> Assuming that the issue is not with the iso but is with the DVDs and CDs is there some way to copy
the iso to another box and reburn the CDs. I know I can not do it with
the DVD since I do not have a
DVD burner but what of the CDs ?

Yes. If your other box is Linux, use scp. If it is Windows,  then
   start apache on the source machine.
   put the iso in /var/www/html
   fetch it with a web browser from windows.
[This is probably the easiest way - fiddling with samba, or ftp is too
hard!]

Hope that helps,

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.