[ltp] HDAPS support for non-Hitachi drives?

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:55:42 -0400

Hello.

I have a Thinkpad T42 which has been running Windows since I got it
over a year ago. I've always wanted to put Linux on it but I'm growing
tired of installing Linux on some new PC and then having to deal with
the hardware breakage.

It also seems now that the parts that are the most important to me
(and that aren't the things that have Just Worked for a while) seem to
be supported pretty well. Namely the IPW2200, HDAPS, and Radeon 9600.

My plan is to buy a new drive and install Linux on that and put my old
drive into the HDD bay I got to put into the Ultrabay. I'm a little
concerned, however, about HDAPS support for replacement drives. I've
had good luck in terms of reliabiltiy with Toshiba drives in the past,
but Hitachis are a little cheaper and I get the feeling that they have
the features needed (head parking) for HDAPS to be useful.

(I would have checked ThinkWiki.org before posting this but it appears
to be dead?)

I'm currently looking at a Hitachi 100GB 5400RPM ATA6 drive. From
Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145092

However, if I were to get a different drive (say, a Toshiba), would
that work with HDAPS as well? Is there a compatibility matrix
somewhere that shows what drives will work with HDAPS and what drives
wont? Will HDAPS park the heads of the drive in the Ultrabay?

Is there anything else I should consider when buying a replacement drive?

Thanks.

Andy