[ltp] HDAPS support for non-Hitachi drives?

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:36:55 -0400

On 7/26/06, Paul RIVIER <paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr> wrote:
> I own a t42 as well, bought new a year ago, that did never boot windows
> in its life. All the hardware worked out of the box with a modern distro.
> What are those hardware breakage you are talking about ?
Well...

> I do not use hdaps because I heard from the mouth of an IBM engineer
> that repeated head-parking leads to HDD unreliability, neither I use the
> 3D because I do not need it and ati 3D support was really bad in the past.
These are the sorts of features that I have in Windows now (and had
over a year ago) (along with WiFi) that I wanted to have working in
Linux. About a year or so ago, these were not working well. I was
actually quite surprised at how fast they all seem to have matured,
since I have a 6 year old laptop that still has problems (ACPI, I
believe, and the OPL3SA2 sound chip).

HDAPS isn't only useful for hard drive protection, you know. I look
forward to getting back into Neverball once I get Linux on my
Thinkpad.

Allow me to repeat a quote from you:
> ati 3D support was really bad in the past
...and yet you question my complaint about hardware not working well in Linux.

> By the way, getting the whole thing working, 3D and hdaps included, with
> say, ubuntu or suse, would take 3 hours. No longer than a winXP setup I
> would say.
Well, I'll be installing Slackware and probably compiling lots of
stuff from source, because I like it that way. This is probably part
of the source of my frustration. But anyway, according to Andrew's
email it looks like I'll need to find a different drive to use.

Thanks.

Andy