[ltp] Re: Generic battery interface

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:10:44 +0300

On 7/27/06, Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> wrote:
> Well, in that case probably smapi driver should "hook into" acpi
> driver.

That would be odd, the SMAPI driver has nothing to do with the ACPI
system. I don't think cross-system hooks are very popular...

> Worst case, we would get equivalent of
>
> /sys/class/battery/system_battery_acpi/...
> /sys/class/battery/system_battery_some_clever_vendor_hack/...
>
> with some values common between both of them. I'd say it is still
> better than having vendor_hack in /sys in one format while having acpi
> battery in /proc/acpi in completely different format.

Aye, we need for a consistent interface to common functionality.
How about /sys/class/battery/{acpi,apm,thinkpad}/BAT0?
So that for standard attributes, cat /sys/class/battery/*/BAT0/voltage
gives something reasonable.

  Shem