[ltp] missing C4 power state on core duo (x60s)

Kevin O'Brien linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:04:04 -0700 (PDT)

Martin Aumueller-3 wrote:

> No C4 here either on a X60s with BIOS 1.04. And neither when on battery.
>
> However, as opposed to almost never it now manages to enter C3 quite often
> -
> and then it emits the well-known noise. That is probably due to the fact
> that
> /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power never shows
> bus master activity:     00000000
> when the ohci_hci driver is loaded. This is probably the reason for the
> lower
> power consumption with BIOS 1.04.
>
> Martin

Thanks Martin,
It seems i was wrong about the newer BIOS preventing the sleep state.

I also get bus master activity: 00000000 when i unload the low speed usb
driver (uhci_hcd in this case) with BIOS 1.06, although i get no noise.

I noticed on both the Linux Thinkpad threads "X60s: Heat, power management,
battery" and "Maximum Battery Capacity of an T60 under Linux"  that whenever
someone posts the contents of /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power for a Core Duo
processor the C4 power state is always absent.

Does anyone have a core duo processor in any laptop where the C4 power state
shows up in /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power ?

Also, does anyone know why the C4 power state shows up for the Pentium M
(Dothan) and not for the Core Duo (Yonah) when both are capable of this
state?
Could this be an issue with the speedstep driver in the kernel?

Thanks,
Kevin
Sent from the Linux Thinkpad forum at Nabble.com.