[ltp] T41p, often cannot connect by wireless

François Fleuret linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:55:12 +0200

Hi all,

Something pretty annoying happens often with my T41p (kernel 2.6.17,
debian, but I doubt it matters).

For instance today I am in an hotel with a wifi spot, and while I can
clearly see the cells with "iwlist ath0 scan", with decent quality, I
can not associate the interface to any cell (well, right now I can
since I moved to the lobby where the signal is perfect).

I don't have Windows anymore on that machine, so I can not compare to
the behavior with it, but I remember that it was usually more
efficient in such a situation. Is there a trick I miss ? Maybe playing
with "iwconfig sens" can help ?

More generally what tools do you use to connect to a wifi network ? I
have to admit I am pretty primitive, usually I scan with "iwlist
scan", force a AP with "iwconfig ap xx.xx.xx.xx.xx" and run dhcpcd-bin
on the interface. Is that standard ? Or should I use some application
to do all that for me ? I don't have gnom nor KDE installed, so I'd
prefere a command-line / curse application.

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret                        http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~fleuret