[ltp] T41p, often cannot connect by wireless

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:29:27 -0700

Here is what I do on debian unstable with 2.16.26 and I do have some
issues on occasion.  I sometimes find at different wifi hotspots I
cannot connect at the first attempt.  IN a hotel in Tokyo I had repeated
problems until I downed the interface by doing ifdown eth1; iwconfig
eth1 essid xxxxx key off.  Then I did dhclient eth1 and the interface
comes up but often I have to mess around with trying to get the web
interface thing to come up on Linux even if its really free and they
just have a nominal page to tell you connected or if you pay and have to
do a real registration.

For networks I connect to often like if I am in a hotel for a week or
so, I will often add it to a series of commands I use to turn on
wireless in different spots.  I have the /etc/network/interfaces
doctored up a bit with different wifi networks I visit and I'll add a
new one as I need it daily:

> #wifi home
> iface home inet dhcp
> wireless-essid yyyyy
> wireless-key xxxxxxxx
>
> #wifi tmobile
> iface tmobile inet dhcp
> wireless-essid tmobile
>
> #wifi work
> iface work inet dhcp
> wireless-essid
> wireless-key zzzzzzz

So the idea here is I do a ifdown eth1 and then an ifup eth1=home or
ifup eth1=work and I get the interface up associated with the correct
wifi hotspot.

I run gnome but I don't like graphical tools at all on any platform.
Its far easier to just have an xterm open and do a few commands for me.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org