[ltp] T41p, often cannot connect by wireless

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:00:56 -0400 (EDT)

> Here is what I do on debian unstable with 2.16.26 and I do have some
> issues on occasion.  I sometimes find at different wifi hotspots I
> cannot connect at the first attempt.  IN a hotel in Tokyo I had
> repeated problems until I downed the interface by doing ifdown eth1;
> iwconfig eth1 essid xxxxx key off.

 	I created a little bash script that does it for me, and I pass
in the ssid of the AP that I want, and it Does The Right Thing(tm).
The default configuration doesn't pass in any SSID or key, and I can
run the script which will set the proper values. If it wedges, I can
just down the interface ('./wifi stop', which downs the interface and
removes ALL associated wifi modules [6 or 7 in my case]) and bring it
back up again.

 	And hey Mike, fancy seeing you here ;)

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com