[ltp] Upgrading inbuilt DVD/CD drive

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:33:51 -0400

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 02:05 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> I *think* you can use a stock model. However, why not buy a USB drive?
> It's probably cheaper.

Actually, the pricing I saw on USB drives versus the slimline drives was
about the same, in the range of $60-$70.

> You can also buy USB-IDE adapters for about $40,
> which will work with any IDE drive; this would also allow you to have an
> external Hard drive.  (check Linux support first though, just in case).

I don't need any more disk space (100GB), and I am already looking at a
2.5" USB drive enclosure for my old hard disk to use with my Nokia 770.

> Lastly, it is possible that this is a case of "to get there, you don't
> start from here". Unless you actually want to burn video-DVDs to play in
> a standalone player, there might be a different way to solve your
> problem. What do you want the DVDs for?

Backup, mostly. I have a large collection of music, TV shows, and a few
movies that I don't want to lose in a hard disk crash. I've also been
playing around with some different Linux distributions and some are on
DVD. I use QEMU when I can but sometimes I want to run them on real
hardware.

Andrew