[ltp] Setting up dual-boot on my R31 (and other desktops, too)

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:25:59 -0400

thinkpadr31@lkv.mailshell.com wrote:
> I'm thinking of setting up my Thinkpad R31 with Windows and Linux.   I
> have 1 GB of RAM.   I'll likely set up Linux first and then Windows at
> a later date.   I'm leaning towards Ubuntu but curious about Gentoo.
>
> I'm not sure if I have to use the ext2 file system.  Any other
> situations where I can't or shouldn't use a journaling file system
> like ext3, reiserfs, or xfs?
>
> If I implemented this setup on a *desktop*, will I get better
> performance if I put my swap partition on a second physical drive?
> The primary will have one Linux and one Windows (NTFS) partition.
> I'm thinking of putting a bunch of older 3-8 GB 3.5" drives to use.
>
> Any other thoughts on implementing this setup?

I also have an R31, which came with XP installed.  I simply reduced the
XP partition to make room for Linux and also a FAT32 partition, to which
I moved the "My Documents" folder.  I run reiserfs on LVM for all Linux
partitions, except swap and also /boot, which is ext2.