[ltp] Setting up dual-boot on my R31 (and other desktops, too)

Sun, 30 Jul 2006 03:29:43 +0100

Jeffrey Davis wrote:
> On Saturday 29 July 2006 08:55 pm, Richard Neill wrote:
>
>>James Knott wrote:

>>Gentoo has its advantages: note though that it is time-consuming, and
>>requires a degree of expertise. Also, it needs a lot of disk space for
>>the source code.
>>If you can spare the space, I recommend > 2GB of swap. Mozilla and
>>firefox both have a nasty tendency to eat RAM, and consume 2GB each if
>>used for a week without closing them!
>

> I can see where that much swap might be needed when compiling and installing
> Gentoo, but in my experience, that much swap is overkill. The old rule of
> thumb that your swap space should be about double the amount of installed
> RAM isn't as important as it was a few years ago.

I'd have liked to agree with you. However, on my desktop system, I wish
I had configured more than 2GB of swap. This + 2GB of RAM is only (just)
sufficient to keep mozilla + firefox happy for a week. Then I have to
close them. I agree though - it's a dreadful case of memory-leaks!

I do use other applications too, but the others are well behaved!

Richard