[ltp] Re: 1GB in 1-slot T30 -- no bootie

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:13:54 +0200

Richard Neill wrote:
> Just a thought - have you tried to run Memtest on it?

I had not tried it.  Good suggestion.

I installed my working 256 MiB memory module in the one working memory slot
on my T30 and booted GNU/Linux and ran make-memtest86+-boot-floppy(1) to
make a memtest boot floppy.  I had to install the mtools package before the
program would make the floppy.  Fortunately I have a port replicator and
external floppy drive that plugs into it, so this was easy.  I shut down
and installed the 1 GiB module and then booted memtest and established that
the memory module is error-free.  That means I can provide positive feedback
to the eBay vendor who sold me the memory.  :)

So the problem was not bad memory.

I found the solution to the problem which I will describe in a moment.

--
Thomas Hood