[ltp] Re: 1GB in 1-slot T30 -- no bootie [SOLVED]

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:11:38 -0400

On Sunday 30 July 2006 12:46, after a long battle with technology,
Richard Neill wrote:
> Thomas Hood wr
> > Firefox and thunderbird were each using close to 200 M of
> > memory!

Hm, this is a bit odd.  Are you using Java?  The *only* times I've seen
Firefox chew up enormous amounts of RAM are when I've visited some
Java-using site and had the JRE allocate 200M for itself.  The Firefox
on my desktop's been in use for 8 days, and currently has 5 tabs open,
~128M used.  How many tabs do you usually have open?  More than 10?
More than 20?  More tabs = more RAM needed.

> Also some extensions are apparently "leaky".

Yeah, check that too.  I'm only using FlashBlock, Linkification, Tab Mix
Plus, and Nuke Anything, and those seem to be reasonably OK wrt leaks.

> I think kmail might be worth trying,

AOL.  Whether it's "equivalently functional to Thunderbird", I don't
know, but it's a perfectly capable MUA and I've been using it since KDE
2.0 was the big thing.

> For a lightening-quick browser, try links-graphic, or dillo.

The last time I tried links-graphic, it didn't allow you to select text
with the mouse.  This is a bit annoying.  Also, JavaScript didn't
always work, which makes some websites totally impossible to use.

And FWIW, until Feb. 2006, I had a Thinkpad A22p (900MHz, 384M), and ran
Firefox and OOO without a problem except for OOO taking forever to
start.  Then again, I was using Gentoo.  YDistroMV.  HTH,

--
   Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
   He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.