[ltp] Setting up dual-boot on my R31 (and other desktops, too)

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:41:19 -0400

James Knott wrote:

>thinkpadr31@lkv.mailshell.com wrote:
>

>>I'm thinking of setting up my Thinkpad R31 with Windows and Linux.   I
>>have 1 GB of RAM.   I'll likely set up Linux first and then Windows at
>>a later date.   I'm leaning towards Ubuntu but curious about Gentoo.
>>
>>I'm not sure if I have to use the ext2 file system.  Any other
>>situations where I can't or shouldn't use a journaling file system
>>like ext3, reiserfs, or xfs?
>>
>>If I implemented this setup on a *desktop*, will I get better
>>performance if I put my swap partition on a second physical drive?
>>The primary will have one Linux and one Windows (NTFS) partition.
>>I'm thinking of putting a bunch of older 3-8 GB 3.5" drives to use.
>>
>>Any other thoughts on implementing this setup?
>>

>I also have an R31, which came with XP installed.  I simply reduced the
>XP partition to make room for Linux and also a FAT32 partition, to which
>I moved the "My Documents" folder.  I run reiserfs on LVM for all Linux
>partitions, except swap and also /boot, which is ext2.

1. Buy a second HD of at least 100 gb and real US Robotics type card
modem if you want to use dial up that will make your like a lot more
pleasant.
If you do not install ccard full modem then you must purchase a
commerical box set of linux which experience has demonstrated numerous
times with numerous distributions that most likely you will be unable to
make the Win Modem work. Some times if you are lucky it will work.
Sometimes if you are lucky you can install it yourself. Other times the
full modem is your only out and I have yet to understand why any one
commerical distribution's win modem will work in one set of hardware and
not in an identical set. So save your time and aggervation the
additional weighr is only a fer grams.
2. Download OpenSuSE 10.1 and burn to CD.
Or If you want fedora wait until Scientific Linux 5.0 comes out and use that
Or if you want Mandriva 2007 wait until it comes out
Scientific Linux and Mandriva should be out in 1 to 2 months.
3. Place your new HD in computer
4. Install your recover disk and windows.
5. Install Midnighr Commander.
6. Partition HD so that Windows has 15 gb partition at hda1.
7. Use expert mode and partition remainder of HD such that.
fda2 is 30 or greater fat 32 data for data
fda4 extended
fda5 100 mg /boot
fda6 15 gb /   root.
fda7 10 gb /home
fda8 10 gb /var

/var is tha old Unix data partition. If for some reason you have to
upgrade of reinstall and you do not have a /var partition then a lot of
operation data will be lost including any and all database data. So this
is a big deal.

fda2 must be fat 32 so that windows and Linux can both see the data in
this partition. I normally call this partition Common_Data in both
Windows and Linux. Eliminates a lot of confusion.

8. Install all of KDE. Experience has shown that if you install all of
KDE you can remove what you do not want but that if you attempt to add
to KDE after installation you most likely will have problems.
9. Choose different machine names for Windows and Linux. It will cut
down on the confusion.

Have fun
Sotl