[ltp] T60 analog modem

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:50:14 -0400

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 00:24 +0200, Daniel Smolik wrote:
> Hi,
> I have new T60. Have anybody info which kind of analog modem is
> included and which driver (if exists) can I use ?

Newer laptops have the modem linked in with the sound chip, so there's
usually an ALSA driver for the modem, either in the ALSA tree or in the
kernel. Then you can use the Smart Link modem daemon (non-free; there is
a binary-only .o file that does the soft DSP work) in ALSA mode to have
a virtual /dev/modem file to use with PPP.

At least on my machine there is snd-intel8x0m. I don't know if a ALSA
modem driver exists for the latest iteration of Intel chipsets
(assuming, of course, that that is what you have). I would guess the
driver would be called snd-hda-modem or similar.

Andrew