[ltp] HDAPS support for non-Hitachi drives?

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:28:05 -0400

On 7/26/06, Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought that drive not too long ago (at a higher price, unfortunately)
> and it does NOT support head unloading, even if you override detection
> via a boot parameter. There isn't an IBM/Lenovo replacement firmware
> either, at least yet. If you want HDAPS don't buy this drive.
I've been reading a bit on the ThinkWiki (replaced my LRP router with
LEAF which comes with dnsmasq by default) and one of your posts about
this drive (I think) and you suggested in that post that it looks like
your drive had a firmware that was newer than that available at
IBM/Lenovo's site.

>From your other post
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-thinkpad&m=115236504228071&w=2>
you gave the drive's firmware as MBZOA60A. According to
<http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_APS_harddisk_parking>, the
last four characters determine the firmware revision. According to the
table at the bottom of the page, A60A supports head parking.

And considering that my Thinkpad is over a year old now, I'd really
have a hard time believing that Hitachi would make drives now that
don't support features that my drive had back then (and earlier).

At least, I'd think that the drive/firmware revision isn't supported
by HDAPS *yet* and that eventually, they will (e.g. no firmware
upgrades should be needed).

Anyway, maybe it would be worth it to give HDAPS another shot on the
drive you have?

Thanks!

-Andy