[ltp] HDAPS support for non-Hitachi drives?

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:42:10 -0400

On 7/31/06, Andrew Haninger <ahaning@gmail.com> wrote:
> And considering that my Thinkpad is over a year old now, I'd really
> have a hard time believing that Hitachi would make drives now that
> don't support features that my drive had back then (and earlier).
>
> At least, I'd think that the drive/firmware revision isn't supported
> by HDAPS *yet* and that eventually, they will (e.g. no firmware
> upgrades should be needed).
>
> Anyway, maybe it would be worth it to give HDAPS another shot on the
> drive you have?
I emailed Hitachi support last night about how to tell whether the
drive supports APS and here's the reply I got from the Hitachi Support
Guy:

HSG> The IBM active protection is specific to IBM hardware. To get a drive that
HSG> supports APS you will need to purchase the unit directly from IBM and not
HSG> through another sales channel. The firmware to support this feature is
HSG> specific and proprietary to IBM and can only be obtained on drives sold by
HSG> IBM.

So I either need a drive directly from IBM or I need to flash it. I
guess I didn't understand this at first. And I guess this would be
required no matter what Hitachi drive I buy from Newegg.

-Andy