[ltp] IPMI on ThinkPads

Yury Polyanskiy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:49:49 -0400

--=-iFL0TYfd8v3DlFC6Jgb+

Hey all!

Anyone had any luck in getting IPMI work on ThinkPads?

Details:

 On most modern motherboards there is a BMC, chip which provides IPMI
functions. These functions are used to display fancy info (see ipmitool
or OpenIPMI user tools -- including GUI!). However, to access BMC and be
able to send IPMI messages you must have a kernel driver.

In thinkpads it seems that BMC is connected over SMBus and fortunately
there is a driver for BMC-over-SMBus called ipmi_smb which somewhy is
not in the official kernel. Driver starts and scans I801's SMBus for a
BMC.

__However__, since there is an old story that ThinkPads don't like
SMBus/I2C activities it might be dangerous.=20

So does anyone have any information or success stories on IPMI?

Thanks in advance!

Yury.

--=-iFL0TYfd8v3DlFC6Jgb+

--=-iFL0TYfd8v3DlFC6Jgb+--