[ltp] USB on 390e not working

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:47:26 -0500

* Richard <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> [2006 May 31 08:52 -0500]:
> >On Tue, 30 May 2006, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> >
> >>I'm installing Debian Etch on my older 390e.  I've been unsuccessful
> >>getting USB working.  Once upon a time it was working under Debian when
> >>Sarge was known as Testing.  I am using kernel 2.6.15 and lspci shows it
> >>as:
> >>
> >>0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
> >>(rev 01)
>

> Do you have the relevant usb modules loaded?
>     lsmod | grep usb

I presume so:

usbcore		113284 2 uhci_hcd

> Also, what does lsusb say?  [there is also a GUI version called usbview]

It returns nothing but the next prompt, even with -v.

> If it's a USB disk you are trying to fix, you may need to modprobe
> usb-storage.

Modprobing usb-storage does nothing.  No events are generated by the
kernel upon device insertion.  The kernel prints nothing to syslog like
it does on my other boxes.  (for completeness I also tried my Fuji
camera with mounts as a mass storage device.  No difference)

I just tried KNOPPIX 4.0.2 and it recognizes and allows access to the
thumbdrive just fine.  The hardware is fine all the way around.  I just
can't get the kernel in Etch, 2.6.15-1-686, to even acknowledge there is
a USB hub in the system.  It sees the hardware at boot as reported by
dmesg, but after that it disappears and the /proc/bus/usb directory is
empty even with the usbcore and uhci_hcd modules loaded.

Please look again at the error I see when inserting the uhci_hcd module
I included in my first mail.

> HTH,

More help, please.

- Nate >>