[ltp] USB on 390e not working

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:48:50 -0500

* Mendel Cooper <thegrendel@theriver.com> [2006 Jun 02 12:07 -0500]:

> > >   gnome-mount -d /dev/sda1
> > > Then, do a 'df' and see if /media/disk or something similar shows up.
> >
> > How does this compare with "mount"?  I ask because I don't have GNOME
> > installed.
>
> The older "mount" command has been deprecated, as of (at least some of)
> the newer Linux distros. It no longer works for mounting removable drives,
> unless you do some hacking of the /etc/fstab file (not recommended). The
> "gnome-mount" command replaces "mount" for manual command-line mounting.
>
> You may have gnome-mount installed, even absent the gnome base. See if
> it's in /usr/bin (ls /usr/bin/gnome-mount).

I have a reasonably complete Debian Sid install with KDE and only a
couple of apps that even know about GNOME at all, Firefox and Pan.  No
gnome-mount is installed on my system and the Debian package page
returns no hits for gnome-mount either as a package or as part of a
package.  For mounting removable devices, KDE works flawlessly with
pmount (and udev, dbus and hal installed).

Once again, please look at the error I receive when inserting the
uhci_hid module.  It seems to me that with /proc/bus/usb empty and
no kernel event messages appearing via syslog, that the problem is
above any version of mount as no device is ever created to mount.

I guess I'll have to start poking around in kernel source.  Sigh...

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"