[ltp] Re: Bad news for us ...

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:39:27 -0400

On 6/3/06, Mendel Cooper <thegrendel@theriver.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Bartlomiej Swiercz wrote:
>
> > http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14802
>
> Perhaps the focus of this group should shift to Classic Thinkpads,
> the ones with tried-and-true Linux support. And, anyhow, from user
> comments I've read, the Lenovo Thinkpads seem to be inferior in quality
> and features to the classic IBM ones.

OEM vendor support for Linux, or lack thereof, has been, at least in
my experience, meaningless. It's more important that chip vendors and
component manufacturers either provide drivers or specs. Anyway, if
you read the article it just seems to be covering an empty PR release
by Lenovo that seems to serve little other purpose than to win favor
with Microsoft. They aren't doing Linux preloading anymore. I could
(and I suspect most of you could) care less. Nothing has changed that
I'm concerned about.

As far as quality goes I have a Lenovo R50e here, and while they've
taken some features off of it compared to my (one of the last) IBM
R51, I see no quality difference. I've learned not to take user
comments too seriously, especially if they're scattered and varying
reports like the one's I've seen Re: Lenovo quality.

I'm going to keep buying ThinkPads until I see convincing (and
credible) evidence that I shouldn't, or I buy a crappy LenovoPad--you
know what they say: burn me once...

At least for now, Thinkpads are still Thinkpads.