[ltp] X22 GL perfomance? [SOLVED!]

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 03 Jun 2006 21:58:44 -0400

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 02:31 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:

> > How does Celestia run?  That one would sometimes give the X22 fits.

> Also fine. Thanks very much indeed.

Since you've got an X22 there - here's an experiment.  (Close all
valuable programs while trying this!)  Open up an xterm run glxgears.
Open up Celestia and run its demo mode - letting it run alongside the
glxgears.  This trick would cause the machine to lock up when I used the
X22, and I'm curious to see if the bug's still around in the later
xorgs.  Sometimes the X22 would make it through the demo once, but a
second run of the demo alongside a running glxgears window would kill
it.

Another way to do the same thing is to start up about four glxgears
windows, then resize them a few times and move them around.  Usually,
the machine would hang within a few minutes.

Also, you may be able to squeeze out a few more FPS out of the X22 by
downloading / running driconf and enabling "HyperZ".

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com