[ltp] Bad news for us ...

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Jun 2006 09:35:24 -0400

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Now, I can see if a person had a laptop in need of repair, where parts
> simply were no longer available for it through normal (non-eBay)
> channels, but this laptop was clearly still useful, usable, and just
> needed a new drive and RAM, and could have been fixed without buying a
> whole new laptop.

"Just needed RAM" is a loaded concept in itself.  In my experience, once
a memory format is deemed obsolete, manufacturers stop making it.  Once
supply gets tight, the price skyrockets.

When I looked for a memory upgrade for my then 4 year old tower (a 165
mhz pentium, I found that for the price of a memory card I could get a
whole new machine with MORE memory, pentium 4, a good graphics card, DVD
drive, etc etc.  Compared to stubbornly upgrading the old computer, it
was essentially paying less for more memory, and getting the rest of a
new computer for free.

Since the laptop in question was the same age, I can't expect the memory
situation would be much/any better.