[ltp] manage Ati display card

Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:44:20 -0400

On 6/4/06, Bobby <bobby001@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My laptop is a T41p with Ati FireGL T2 (9600)
>
> I want to know if it's possible to use the powerplay feature with the
> Xorg 7.0 ati driver ? I never use the 3D Acceleration and I want to
> save some energy when I'm running on battery.

ati has not released the specs needed for full powerplay support.  the
open driver has a dynamic clocks feature (Option "DynamicClocks")
which allows the varous chip clocks to scale depending on load.

> Concerning Xorg, someone can tell me which option I have to use for
> use the transparency with my X ?

this is a rather complicated question.  first you need to enable the
composite extension in your X server.  then you need to be running a
composite manager.  for fast compositing, you'll need either exa
render accel or hw accelerated indirect rendering, or xgl.  Any of
these will work, but all require a slightly different setup.

Alex