[ltp] X31 - DRI prevents CPU from going to C3 powersaving state

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:48:15 -0400

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 19:39 +0200, Michael Kamper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite happy with my X31 and I even made DRI (3D-acceleration) work.
> Now there is just one annoying thing: When I enable DRI in xorg.conf with
>        Load            "dri"
> xorg will constantly cause bus master activity thus preventing the cpu
> enter the C3 powersaving state.

> C3 in
> /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power
> will never be entered!

> When I disable dri in xorg, C3 is entered as usualy, giving me much more
> battery life and cooler CPU. But this is not really an option, as I love
> to use suspend2 and suspend to ram. So I wouldn't like to restart my
> xserver every time I need 3D-acceleration.

> Yet some information: I'm using gentoo (stable) with xorg 6.8.2-r7
> Kernel is 2.6.15

I don't have a solution for you (other than disabling DRI), but I can
confirm that I see the same behavior on my X31 with 2.6.12-10-686 and
xorg 6.8.2 under Ubuntu Breezy.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com