[ltp] random tcp errors with BCM5751M and tg3

Bernhard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:13:07 +0200

Hi all,

anybody having trouble with the Gigabit Ethernet card NetXtreme BCM5751M using
the tg3 module?

My network card gets configured by the router. The latter sets the MTU to
1320. With this MTU it's not possible to load any web pages at all ("unknown
host ..."). Ethereal randomly tells me TCP checksum errors only on outgoing
packages. In particular each HTTP GET request seems to produce these checksum
errors.

By setting the MTU to 1500 manually ethereal still tells me tcp checksum
errors on each HTTP GET request (and on random outgoing packages). However,
browsing the web is somehow possible (links often have to be clicked twice or
more in order to load the page).

Under Windows the card works just fine. Also, another linux machine in the net
gets configured by the router with the same MTU of 1320 and also works fine.
So I think the problem is caused by the driver.

Did anybody have the same experiences with the BCM5751M and tg3 module?

Thanks for any help!

-- Bernhard

PS: I'm using Kubuntu Dapper on a z60m.

lspci says:
0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751M
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0577
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
        Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3
Enable-
                Address: fffffffffffffffc  Data: ffff
        Capabilities: [d0] #10 [0001]