[ltp] wifi0 ( WPA) problems (hack?)

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:41:00 -0400

Bert Haskins wrote:

> Lorenco Trichardt wrote:
>
>> I had similar issues:
>>
>> Use ndiswrapper and the windows drivers... wpasupplicant & madwifi
>> does not seem to be working well.... It auth's but then lose the
>> connection...
>>

> I've had many problems with both of these combinations ... hard to get
> a connection, and then it will
> lose it, and then hard to get it back.
>
> Wpasupplicant & madwifi worked great for me with with FC3 and FC4,
> in fact, I have had to reinstall Fc4 on a couple of systems because of
> not being able to get satisfactory wireless operations.
>
> Whats with the kmod-src for madwifi and ndiswrapper having 4 separate
> versions?
> There are many different rpms listed for madwifi and ndiswrapper
> (kmod)(kmdl)(hal-kmdl)
> how are we supposed to know which ones to use?

After spending a obscene amount of time trying to find the answer to this,
I saved some space on a new hard drive and installed kbuntu on it.
Same problem!! but this time after some googling I found a little tidbit
on one of their forums,
tried it and it worked.
It's "dhclient ath0".
Naturally, I then tried this on all of my remaining Fedora 5 boxes and
they all appeared to work.
I think that the problem is that the FC5 does everything but get the
final dotted quad from the router.
So the network is up and running but not accessible.

It think that given enough time, the bumps and bruises on my beat up old
skull will heal.