[ltp] Re: Lenovo to shun Linux

Bill Hudacek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:48:28 -0400

--=_alternative 000DC8E885257184_=

Sorry - can't resist - this makes it 950 Million Windows Users (per
Gartner group 2005), and 1 linux user :-)

Even if it were 10,000 linux users - all of whom wrote email - that's a
ratio of 95,000 to 1.

Your heart's in the right place, and I'm very much a kindred soul,
but.....there are economies of scale, and then there are economies of
scale.

For my part, I'm with some who have already said it very well indeed - I
won't get upset until/unless thinkpads start to include hardware (most
notably, video and network components) for which no linux support is
possible.  Special-purpose (ahem) hardware such as has been rumored to
exist in the past by conspiracy theorists (such as wireless cards, which
have given me fits for a few years now).

Regards,

Bill Hudacek
IBM Global Services

linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org wrote on 06/04/2006 09:29:34 PM:

> Rob Bell <RobDBell@mailworks.org> writes:
>
> > Straight from Slashdot & Digg, a sign that any strides towards Linux
> > support that IBM made are being negated by Lenovo:
> >
> > http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?
> articleId=188701277
>
> I just sent Lenovo the following email.
<snip>
--=_alternative 000DC8E885257184_=

950 Million Windows Users (per Gartner group 2005), and 1 linux user :-)</font>
all of whom wrote email - that's a ratio of 95,000 to 1.</font>
I'm very much a kindred soul, but.....there are economies of scale, and
then there are economies of scale.</font>
already said it very well indeed - I won't get upset until/unless thinkpads
start to include hardware (most notably, video and network components)
for which no linux support is possible. &nbsp;Special-purpose (ahem) hardware
such as has been rumored to exist in the past by conspiracy theorists (such
as wireless cards, which have given me fits for a few years now).</font>
Bill Hudacek<br>
IBM Global Services<br>
09:29:34 PM:<br>
&gt; Rob Bell &lt;RobDBell@mailworks.org&gt; writes:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Straight from Slashdot &amp; Digg, a sign that any strides towards
Linux <br>
&gt; &gt; support that IBM made are being negated by Lenovo:<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?<br>
&gt; articleId=188701277<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I just sent Lenovo the following email. </font></tt>
--=_alternative 000DC8E885257184_=--