[ltp] Re: Lenovo to shun Linux

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:17:09 -0400

All this trashing about it not being IBM anymore... IBM is still (afaik)
a large minority shareholder of lenovo, and most of the upper management
  is former IBM PC division living in the US.

The deal wasn't just dumping the PC division (desktops being the losers,
thinkpads being the sugar on the deal), it is a conduit for IBM to sell
other products in China.

So while IBM can't dictate, they are still influential, and they still
have interest in protecting the brand name.