[ltp] Re: Lenovo to shun Linux

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:14:59 -0400

I just want to maybe put this sudden pronouncement out of nowhere into
some perspective. From what I read in the Chinese press, this seemingly
gratuitous *public* affirmation with the relation with Microsoft is in
fact an affirmation that they do not continue the tradition of selling
PC with only dos in it or pre-installed with linux, *in the Chinese
market*.

Inn China, many OEM sell bare iron PC with no OS or Linux.  And let's
face it most people would promptly wipe their hard drive and install the
*pirated* Windows on it.

Of course Lenovo could say what it is all about, that they will stop
their bare iron PC sell in China. But that would be essentially
admitting what they were doing before was effectively helping piracy. So
as a clever trick they affirm that starting from now they will
pre-install genuine windows on ALL their PC, empathetically including
China and all developing countries. There's no need to proclaim that
thinkpad sold in the United States will be pre-installed with Windows as
that's already the done.

In short the seemingly gratuitous assault on Linux loving geekhood is in
fact an unintended consequence of a drive to root out Windows piracy in
Chinese, and maybe some other developing country's, market. Maybe you
think the Windows is evil and its piracy therefore good, but we have to
first understand what all this fuss is all about.

As for myself, as long as they make well designed laptop I'll continue
buying them and enjoy linux on them. I don't get any linux help from
them anyway.
Jiang