[ltp] OT: usb data capture hardware?

Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:18:49 +0100

Dear All,

Please excuse this being slightly off-topic: I thought someone here may
have experience of what I'm trying to do.

Basically, I have an astrophysics sensor system which generates a 16-bit
wide output (from an ADC), with a rising-edge clock every time the
output has changed.  The data rate is somewhere between 1-5 MHz, and I
need to get this into a computer.

So far:

   1)  It's too fast for a parallel port (unfortunately - or it
       would be ideal)

   2)  The FTDI chip system, such as the DLP-245M is nearly ideal:
       it implements a parallel port over USB, and has pre-existing
       GPL drivers - but it is only USB 1.1, so too slow.

   3)  The current solution I've been fighting with is a QuickUSB Module,
       for which we have reverse-engineered drivers, but it's pretty
       ghastly, and not reliable.

So, any Ideas?

Thanks very much for your help,

Richard