[OT] Debian details (was: Re: [ltp] Ubuntu Dapper on a22p...)

Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:23:37 -0300

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> to FC5.  I hated synaptic (the GUI tool) and far prefer yum.  In all

As a Debian developer that has to use these tools about 10 times per day if
not more, I can tell you synaptic is just eye-candy crap, it is always
behind the times.   The real tool for taking care of package install/update
is aptitude (and not apt-get!!), and the fact it is a text-ui doesn't make
it any less powerful.

> pulling teeth.  I never did get the X headers installed.  Even worse

I am not sure this is the same in Ubuntu, but for Debian Etch that is
"aptitude install xorg-dev", and accepting all recommends and suggests.  And
you could even "apt-get build-dep <some emacs source package>" to have
everything Debian's emacs packages use to build installed (thus chances are
high you'd have everything needed for emacs cvs...).

> was getting sshd working.  And while I got sshd running, I never did
> figure out how to configure it so that I could log into the box with
> local and remote forwarding configured.  I finally decided that, as

Well, this is stock upstream ssh configuration AFAIK.  Edit
/etc/ssh/*_config, and if you have one, your own .ssh/config.  Nothing
Debian/Ubuntu-specific here.  Maybe Fedora has a GUI for this, though.

FYI: the side accepting the ssh connection can veto the X forwarding
capability (see /etc/ssh/sshd_config), and you need xauth (Debian package
xbase-clients, which openssh-server suggests for you to install) to be
installed for it to work.

> become an apt/debian/ubuntu sysadmin.  Better to work with Rawhide
> development and make sure XFCE4.4. is tested well and works on my A31p
> when FC6 comes out.

It is always best to work with what one is used to, indeed.  It is more
produtive that way.  As long as you look around once in a while to see what
is there (which you obviously do :-) )...

> FWIW, I had a similar experience with Suse 10.1 about a month ago,
> when it first came out.  These experiences with Suse and Ubuntu have
> given me a new respect for Fedora ... but I'll still rant anyway. :-)

I have deep respect for FC for their SE-Linux work :-)  I hope Debian will
catch up soon now that Russell Coker is back in our ranks at full speed.

  Henrique Holschuh