[ltp] Ati driver's install - "direct rendering: No" - Now radeon driver

Nate linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:56:24 -0400

Thanks for the couple of replies so far. I've tried to provide as much
info below as could possibly be needed. My next try will be to post to a
Xorg oriented forum, but I thought someone here might be able to help
better, since we likely have similar hardware.

This post has a few parts. If you can help with any of them, please do.

1. I ask that anyone with a valid xorg.conf for dual head using the
ati/radeon open source driver on a T4* laptop with DRI working, to post
or send to me their xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log. Even better if you're
running FC5 and Xorg6.9 or 7.0. To know if DRI is working, do 'glxinfo |
grep rendering' and see if it says "direct rendering: Yes".

2. I ask for help on my 3 levels of success using the radeon driver for
dual head. I'm going to link to all 3 sets of xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log
files on a webserver, and explain them below.

3. Even with DRI working, the performance of X is not great (In fact I
cannot tell the difference between DRI working and not, except glxgears
fps improves by nearly 10 times). For example, when changing tabs by
clicking their names in firefox, I can tell you that first it draws the
website, then switches the tab, then changes address bar. Also, when
bringing an app on front of firefox (or vice versa), first the window
manager draws the window, then the client application fills up the
window. Lastly, when moving windows around they tend to smear or leave
copies of themselves as trails. Even if I never get DRI working
properly, I would like to fix desktop/window manager performance,
because this is underlying reason I am doing all of this.

As an aside, I found a bug report with the fglrx driver for the R2**
series ati cards. Ati's update, just around the time that I was trying
the driver's, broke something for a lot of people. Now instead, I am
trying to setup the open-source radeon driver for dual head with DRI.

I've had 3 different successes. First, I let system-config-display
generate an xorg.conf. DRI support did not work with dual head, and
suggested I used option MergedFB. Everything looks fine, but DRI does
not work and desktop performance is slow.

http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/xorg.conf.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/Xorg.0.log.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/glxinfo.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lsmod.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lspci.bak200606071519-dual_nodri

I had 2 partial successes using MergedFB.

I setup MergedFB manually for lcd at 1400x1050 and crt at 1024x768. The
Xorg log says:
(EE) RADEON(0): Static buffer allocation failed.  Disabling DRI.
(EE) RADEON(0): At least 33075 kB of video memory needed at this
resolution and depth.
My video card has 32mB, so perhaps it is simply impossible.
Additionally, my crt screen is too small and pans around even though I
think Option "MergedNonRectangular" is supposed to take care of this, I
think. Also, desktop performance is slow.

http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/xorg.conf.bak200606071740_dual_MergedFB_dri_1400x1050-1024x768_ERRORmemsize
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/Xorg.0.log.bak200606071740_dual_MergedFB_dri_1400x1050-1024x768_ERRORmemsize
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/glxinfo.bak200606071740_dual_MergedFB_dri_1400x1050-1024x768_ERRORmemsize
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lsmod.bak200606071740_dual_MergedFB_dri_1400x1050-1024x768_ERRORmemsize
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lspci.bak200606071740_dual_MergedFB_dri_1400x1050-1024x768_ERRORmemsize
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/dmesgagp.bak200606071740_dual_MergedFB_dri_1400x1050-1024x768_ERRORmemsize

Finally, I shrinked the resolutions of both lcd and crt to both
1024x768. This worked with DRI, but, my laptop is not at its native
resolution and desktop performance is slow.

http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/xorg.conf.bak200606071732_dual_MergedFB_dri_1024x768only
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/Xorg.0.log.bak200606071732_dual_MergedFB_dri_1024x768only
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/glxinfo.bak200606071732_dual_MergedFB_dri_1024x768only
http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lsmod.bak200606071732_dual_MergedFB_dri_1024x768only